US Privacy Updates: Recent Developments at State and Federal Level
A number of US privacy updates have already started to shape 2021, with several States introducing or reintroducing bills following developments in California through the CCPA and CPRA. The most notable updates have been seen in Virginia, Washington, and New York where bills were introduced which would regulate privacy to varying degrees. Virginia's Consumer Data Protection Act ('CDPA') establishes various definitions including precise geolocation data, profiling, targeted advertising, and the sale of personal data. While the New York Privacy Act would require the express and documented consent of consumers for their personal data to be used, processed, or transferred to a third party. Whereas, the Washington Privacy Act and People's Privacy Actwould establish four key consumer rights, namely the right to access personal data, to update and correct data, the right to data portability, and to object to the use of data.
Learn more: Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (CDPA) Portal
US Privacy Update Webinar
Join OneTrust DataGuidance and speakers from Perkins Coie LLP for a webinar discussing recent legislative developments at state and federal level in the US, including recently introduced bills, the status of bills currently in the legislative process, and the continued prospect of a federal privacy law. Our panel will discuss the impact these developments may have on current US privacy laws as well as their wider impact on the way in which businesses collect, use, and share personal information.
Key takeaways from this webinar will include;
- An overview of new and re-introduced state-level bills
- The status of proposed federal privacy legislation in the US
- An understanding of the impact upcoming legislation will have on businesses
Keep up to date: OneTrust DataGuidance USA State Law Tracker
US Privacy Law Updates Resources:
- DataGuidance Webinar: US Privacy Update: Recent Developments in Privacy Legislation (October 2020)
- DataGuidance Insight: Washington: People's Privacy Act introduces "significant shift" on consumer interaction
- OneTrust Blog: Virginia’s Consumer Data Protection Act on Track to Become Law
- Federal Overview Video: USA State Privacy Bill Developments: What You Need To Know