International: FPF and partners publish best practices for AI in employment relationships
On September 19, 2023, the Future of Privacy Forum (FPF) announced the publication of its guide titled 'Best Practices for AI and Workplace Assessment Technologies.' The guide focuses on providing recommendations for organizations as they deploy artificial intelligence (AI) tools in their hiring and employment decisions, based on the premise that AI tools present risks that, if not addressed, can impact job candidates and hiring organizations.
Notably, the guide provides several recommendations, including that:
- developers and deployers must have clearly defined responsibilities regarding AI hiring tools' operation and oversight;
- organizations should not secretly use AI tools to hire, terminate, and take other actions that have consequential impacts;
- AI hiring tools must be tested to ensure they are fit for their intended purposes and assessed for bias;
- AI tools should not be used in a manner that harmfully discriminates;
- organizations should not use facial characterization and emotion inference technologies in the hiring process without public disclosures supporting the tools' fairness;
- organizations should implement AI governance frameworks informed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology's (NIST) AI Risk Management Framework; and
- AI hiring tools should be designed and operated with informed human oversight and engagement.