Guernsey: ODPA publishes 2022 annual report
The Office of the Data Protection Authority (ODPA) announced, on June 8, 2023, that it had published its 2022 annual report. The ODPA highlighted that the report outlines its progress towards the five strategic objectives detailed in the ODPA's previous Strategic Plan (2019-2022), namely:
- to develop the ODPA's capabilities to deliver on its enhanced statutory duties;
- to be a relevant, responsive, and effective regulator;
- to support organizations in delivering their obligations and empower individuals to exercise their rights;
- to develop and maintain effective relationships; and
- to elevate discussions around the protection of personal data to engage the community and individuals in a relevant and positive way, recognizing the personal, social, and economic opportunities and threats that the data economy poses.
In line with the above, the ODPA detailed the following highlights from 2022, namely that:
- it has had proactive communication with the public sector and industries;
- it hosted free drop-in sessions, established partnerships with the Youth Commission, and published guidance;
- it undertook proactive engagement with industry, government, and international institutions;
- it expanded Bijou projects to engage with organizations and individuals on the human level; and
- its office is fully staffed, and its self-funding model continues to allow financial independence.