Guernsey: ODPA issues key lessons on 5th anniversary of data protection law
On May 26, 2023, the Office of the Data Protection Authority (ODPA) published key lessons on the 5th anniversary of the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2017, which entered into force on May 25, 2018. In particular, the ODPA focused on key lessons and activities since the entry into effect, including:
- that data protection is about treating people well, and the Law provides a framework for achieving that;
- that a small investment in data protection may facilitate business success;
- engaging with people so they understand how you are looking after their interests by adhering to the Law;
- responding to data subject requests quickly;
- handling personal data in accordance with data protection principles under the Law, namely accountability;
- ensuring that people understand what is being done with their personal information;
- ensuring that you have a lawful basis for processing personal data, such as consent; and
- educating employees dealing with personal data so that the principles of data protection under the Law are understood.
You can read the press release here.