Guernsey: ODPA issues guidance on DSARs
On June 13, 2023, the Office of the Data Protection Authority (ODPA) published guidance on data subject access requests (DSARs). The ODPA explained that the guidance provides a step-by-step process for controllers to follow, along with detailed guidance to help ensure controllers respond to an individual's DSAR in accordance with the law. In particular, the guidance includes:
- guidelines to understand how to handle DSARs (the guidelines); and
- how to respond to 'subject access requests' in the format of webinar.
The guidelines identify four aspects for handling DSARs, namely:
- acknowledging the request;
- gathering the information about the person;
- assessing and reviewing the information gathered; and
- giving the information to the person.
Furthermore, the guidelines detail the form process, valid requests, verification, and how to carry out a comprehensive search for the information requested, among other things.