Denmark: Datatilsynet issues guidance on direct marketing
The Danish data protection authority (Datatilsynet) published, on June 30, 2023, new guidance on processing personal data in the context of direct marketing. In particular, the guidance is targeted at advisers and others with experience in data protection within companies, with the aim of clarifying how a large number of data protection rules must be understood in a marketing context. In particular, the guidance addresses the following, among other things:
- the rules applicable to direct marketing when personal data is involved;
- mapping marketing activities;
- types of personal data that should be used;
- use of children's data;
- typical examples of marketing activities;
- telemarketing and electronic marketing;
- profiling and automated decisions; and
- legal bases for processing.
In this regard, the Datatilsynet also specified that it aims to prepare further guidance on marketing aimed at marketing employees and advertising agencies, among others.