Support Centre

You have out of 5 free articles left for the month

Signup for a trial to access unlimited content.

Start Trial

Continue reading on DataGuidance with:

Free Member

Limited Articles

Create an account to continue accessing select articles, resources, and guidance notes.

Free Trial

Unlimited Access

Start your free trial to access unlimited articles, resources, guidance notes, and workspaces.

California: AG addresses CCPA enforcement and launches consumer tool to notify businesses of violations

The California Attorney General ('AG'), Rob Bonta, issued, on 19 July 2021, a statement on enforcement efforts of the California Consumer Protection Act of 2018 ('CCPA') one year after enforcement began, and announced the launch of a new online tool allowing consumers to directly notify businesses of potential violations. In particular, the AG noted, among other things, that, upon receiving a notice of an alleged violation, 75% of businesses acted to come into compliance within the 30-day statutory cure period, while the remaining 25% of businesses receiving a notice of alleged violation were either within the 30-day cure period or are under active investigation. 

In addition, the AG launched a new online consumer privacy tool that allows consumers to directly notify businesses that do not have a clear and easy-to-find 'Do Not Sell My Personal Information' link on their homepage. Specifically, the tool asks guided questions to walk consumers through the basic elements of the CCPA before generating a notification that can then be sent to the business, and which may trigger the 30-day period for the business to cure their violation, which is a prerequisite to the AG bringing an enforcement action.

You can read the press release here and access the online tool here.

Feedback