International: Coalition of tech and business groups issue recommendations to G7 on digital innovation
The Information Technology Industry Council ('ITI') announced, on 9 April 2021, that they had, along with 16 other associations, sent a letter outlining recommendations for G7 leaders to stimulate innovation in the digital economy. In particular, the letter details that enabling free data flows with trust is critical to fighting COVID-19 and ensuring a functioning global economy. Furthermore, the letter suggests, among other things:
- G7 members strengthen their commitment to facilitate the free flow of data and refrain from imposing localisation measures;
- ensure non-discriminatory regulatory approaches to digital services and technologies;
- oppose measure requiring forced disclosure of sensitive company information;
- adoption of strong privacy protections that reflect global consensus frameworks and facilitate global interoperability;
- refrain from discriminatory digital tax measures; and
- enhance cybersecurity across all sectors.
You can read the letter here.