Denmark: Datatilsynet issues guidance on use of CCTV
The Danish data protection authority (Datatilsynet) published, on June 27, 2023, new guidance on CCTV surveillance, describing considerations companies should take into account in relation to the use of CCTV. In particular, the guidance specifies:
- when a conduct amounts to CCTV surveillance;
- when CCTV surveillance by companies is permitted;
- how companies can fulfill their duty of disclosure to the persons monitored;
- rules on storage and disclosure of CCTV recordings;
- the rights of data subjects in connection with CCTV surveillance; and
- the use of data processors.
Notably, the guide also contains a number of examples to help companies interpret and apply the rules in practice.
Against this background, the Datatilsynet specified that it also plans to publish further guidelines on CCTV surveillance in the second half of 2023, focused on public authorities and housing associations.